Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday Lil G!!!

A year ago today, our lives changed....for the better.
We welcomed little Gavin Jamieson into the world.

The story goes something like this:

At 5:15 I awoke to a funny sensation running down my leg. I, of course, turned to Bryan in bed and said calmly "honey, I think my water just broke." He replied in a sleepy, slurred voice "no babe, you just peed your pants, go back to bed." I finally stood up and sure enough, it wasn't urine. Bryan, now realizing he better sober up (we had attended a friends BBQ the night before and had just returned home around 1am) heads immediately to the kitchen takes 2 aspirin and begins what would be a very long day of taking good care of me!
We head to the hospital and are admitted but are told that my contractions are not close enough together and that I should walk around for a while and by that I mean for 2 hours. So we walked...and walked....and walked. Nothing! So we walked some more! Finally they said, it was time to get it started with Pitocin. "Fine," I say slightly annoyed that the human inside my body will not jump start things on his own. At 11:00am they insert the drugs.
At 12:00pm, I think "these contractions aren't so bad."
At 1:00pm, I think "well it doesn't feel good but I can handle it."
At 2:00pm, I grab Bryan by the shirt, look straight into his eyes and say "help me f***ing breath!!"
At 3:00pm, I again grab Bryan by the shirt and say "I want a f***ing epidural!"
At 3:15pm, Bryan and I are pleasantly napping in the room! I will spare you the rest of the details. But at 7:46pm the most beautiful, healthy, baby boy was born.
Gavin has taught us a lot this past year. He has taught us patience, awareness, and how to survive on only a few hours of sleep. He has taught us to not take things so seriously, to laugh more, and to not forget to put extra diapers in the diaper bag. But most important of all, he really has taught us how to love unconditionally! Thanks Gavin for an amazing first year. We can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy "1st" Birthday Gavin,
Gavin our little man, this year has gone by so fast, it's hard to believe you're "One Year Old" already. It has been a year of wonders for us all and you have brought so much Love and Joy to our lives. It has been just amazing watching you as you have grown and develop into your own personality. You are just a precious gift to us all.
Happy Birthday with all our Love.
Love and Miss You,
Mimi & Poppi

Nana said...

Well -- that made me a little teary. Where did this year go?

Dear Gavin,
I Just can't express how much you are loved and missed. I cherish each momment I get to share with you -- and enjoy all your photos and web cam chats. I love to listen to all the stories you tell -- You are so vocal. I may be a little prejudice -- but you are the cutest little boy in the whole world. Your adorable smile just melts my heart. Happy "1st" birthday sweetie.
Hugs and kisses,
Nana

Anonymous said...

you are such a handsome lil' one year old, G! I can't wait for many more walks with you and your mommy! Happy Bday-
Amy and Allen